Friday, June 17, 2011

Verdon Christian Church

On the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, the kids and I decorated the graves on my dad's side. We went to Brownville, Nebraska where we put flowers on my Great-Great-Great Grandfather's grave who died in the Civil War. The kids were amazed to see all moss on it and that you could barely read the name MERRITT. Next we went to Nemaha, Nebraska where my Grandpa Ward & Grandma Pearl Merritt are buried as well as my Great-Grandpa Sherman & Great-Grandma Madge Irene Merritt, and my great-uncle & aunt - Perry & Goldina Merritt. We also have a few other great-aunts and cousins buried here on my grandpa Merritt's side. Next we went on to Verdon, Nebraska where my Grandma Pearl's side is buried. My Great-Grandma & Great-Grandpa Cook, my Great-Uncle Keith, his wife, and his son Jack, and my Great-Aunt Jane's husband - Walter are all buried here at Verdon.

After placing flowers on the grave, we drove through the town of Verdon to look at the Verdon Christian Church. I grew up in this church, going to Sunday School each Sunday and VBS in the summer. My Grandpa Ward was the preacher here, along with many other churches in SE Nebraska. He went to 2-3 churches every Sunday to preach! The kids thought it was pretty neat to see another church my grandpa preached at (last year we stopped at the Brownville United Methodist Church where he also preached at) (click here to check out last year's trip to Brownville United Methodist Church).

We were unable to make it to Pawnee City/Summerfield, KS this year (1st year in a LONG time - maybe even the 1st time I've ever missed Memorial Day Weekend on my mom's side) because Clair had a very high fever. I'll be down this summer to catch up with Grandma "Farmer"!

No comments:

3 years old - Nov 2008

3 years old - Nov 2008