Thursday, May 06, 2010
Samantha Swallowed a Turtle!
The day before Doug's birthday, Samantha was in her room playing during Alden's nap time. I was upstairs cleaning and I heard a scream that I had never heard from Samantha before. I ran down to her room and she told me that she had swallowed a turtle charm off a ribbon that Auntie Debra gave her for her last birthday. She had gotten it in Hawaii. Apparently, Samantha was chewing on the ribbon and it slipped down her throat. She said that she was in pain and that it tasted bad, so I called Doug's mom and she came over and watched Alden & Clair, while I ran up to the Acute Care Clinic on Hwy 370. I took Doug's grandma Holman with me in case I need morale support. Luckily, Samantha was no longer in pain when we got there and they took an x-ray and confirmed that she had swallowed it and it was already in her stomach. They told me just to watch for it to pass. I was very relieved to hear it wasn't stuck in her throat or somewhere else. I hope Samantha has learned her lesson, but for the time being, she is no longer allowed to play with jewelry that will fit in her mouth.